Both Puzzle Pirates and Second LIfe are blocked in our district by the filter. I know that when we identify educational applications for games and virtual worlds that they would be unblocked.
I have spent some time lurking in Second Life. It has been interesting to see the ideas that people have had for use of the use of virtual worlds.
A student teachers recently asked if we have Oregon Trail available for students. Our teachers make use of many online game sites in math for student enrichment and practice - these are the games that have a drill and practice type focus.
I think that schools may have more concerns about the balance of administrative and instructional uses of their networks than may be a consideration in public libraries - grading, state reporting, attendance, online testing, etc. that require careful consideration of educational use of the games that are bandwidth intensive in an environment where we need to focus on our educational mission.
I understand the value of games for learners and am interested in watching interest develop for implementation of games as a learning tool at the secondary level for more that drill and practice - get to those higher levels of Bloom's taxonomy. A little difficult to imagine the implementation until teachers show an interest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment