Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Thing 13 - Online Productivity Tools

I installed a weather widget in the sidebar. Tried to get a countdown widget to display, but no luck. I like the problem-solving required of 23 Things. I know nothing about javascript, but I learned which widgets seem to have the correct coding to appear in Blogger. Some do, some don't. It is great that developers are putting some of their ideas out there even though it can sometimes be frustrating from the user perspective when things don't work. In the Web 2.0 world we learn from each other.

This activity encouraged me to look a little more at the features of our district administrative calendar system. I can create a personal to-do list and add URLs to the item descriptions, but cannot add photos and documents. We can see the calendars of others in the district and some people and not comfortable with that, but I find it a great tool for scheduling meetings - saves a lot of emails and phone calls. I liked the features of Backpack and Basecamp and I think an organization or group without a calendar system would benefit from either of these.

I use an iGoogle account that has tabs for personal and work items. I like exploring the gadgets. Lifehacker is in my del.icio.us list and I am anxious to check that regularly.

Zamzar has been a lifesaver for many of our students who bring in documents from home computers. We are almost always successful in doing a file transfer. I especially like their .pdf translator. I've been a hero more than a few times by using Zamzar.

No comments: