Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thing 11 - Tagging and del.icio.us

I have used del.icio.us for a couple years and could not work without it. My tagging scheme needs a bit of work so I clean it up every couple months. Link to my del.icio.us account.

When I make presentations at conferences I create a tagged list and share that URL with attendees so they can refer to my list at their leisure. It is easy to add sites to the list as I find new items of interest.

One of my favorite tags is "daily." These are sites that I want to view regularly and I can get to them quickly with this tag. I also use the del.icio.us buttons in my browser bar so I can add sites quickly. I understand that in some schools teachers cannot add these buttons to their browser due to firewalls or filter.

Best feature is that I can access this list anywhere that I have Internet access. I also like subscriptions. I have a subscription set up for "knitting." Anytime someone adds this tag to a site it appears in my subscriptions and I can choose to add it to my list of tagged sites.

I work with grade 12 students on their senior research paper and I would really like to try using an electronic means to save links to their sources. I think we have a teacher who is willing to give some of the 2.0 tools a try and this may be one that would be useful.

The CommonCraft video on YouTube has a good expanation of social bookmarking.

I set up an account in PageKeeper and will monitor that resource over the next few weeks. Did not have librarian as a choice when I registered so I need to contact them and ask if they would consider adding librarian as a teacher type.

I wish that PageKeeper allowed me to import some of the sites that I can export from del.icio.us.

I'm enthusiastic about tagging. It is a great way to share sites.

No comments: