Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thing 8 - Share Your Creations

Interesting to work on these during the school day and learn which sites are blocked by the filter.

For that reason, we have decided to standardize on one photosharing site in the district - Flickr - and when teachers request access to share photos we can suggest that site. Not too much request for this sort of thing at this time, but I think it would be a great way to share photos with parents.

I tried ZohoShow and had more success with Firefox than Safari. Our teachers have teacher web pages and it would be a great way for them to share presentations for students to use when out of class. I've used a few other Zoho applications and can see the advantage of sticking with one producer of applications so that they work together.

The great thing about most of these tools is that viewing does not depend on a certain browser or operating system. Safari for Mac is a bit shaky for creating objects, but works fine for viewing.

I've shared some information with our art department about creating online art galleries. Many schools use some of the sites where teachers can display student art work and then the site will sell that art work on mugs, tshirts, posters, etc. for parents who may want to purchase. Biggest one is probably Artsonia.

All the advertising makes me a bit uncomfortable, but I think we can make some sensible decisions about most of this if we share these applications in schools. Pick those that are recommended, do some training on appropriate uses and let the teachers run with their ideas.

No comments: